Pre-birth acupuncture can help a woman prepare for a healthy labor and delivery and is an excelllent way to encourage optimal health in the month leading up to birth. Orchid offers weekly treatment based on researched protocols starting at 36 or 37 weeks of pregnancy to get the body ready slowly for childbirth.
Research has shown that pre-birth acupuncture may help to:
- Increase cervical ripening;
- Shorten active labor;
- Support the progression of labor naturally;
- Manage pain and discomfort during labor and delivery;
- Sustain energy during labor;
- Alleviate anxiety before and during labor;
- Maintain healthy blood pressure; and
- Reduce the likelihood for unnecessary interventions and the possibility of having a cesarian section.
Data on 169 women gathered by 14 midwives as part of their midwifery practice in Wellington, New Zealand found that when comparing all caregivers such as midwives, GP’s and specialists, for those women who had received prebirth acupuncture, there was:
- An overall 35% reduction in the number of inductions (for women having their first baby this was a 43% reduction)
- A 31% reduction in the epidural rate
When comparing midwifery only care to women receiving prebirth acupuncture there was a:
- A 32% reduction in emergency cesarean delivery
- A 9% increase in normal vaginal births
There was no difference in the onset of early labor in those women receiving prebirth acupuncture.
Acupressure for Pain Relief During Labor
Before birth, we can also instruct a woman’s birth partner and/or doula on how to apply acupressure during labor to promote partner involvement, lessen labor pain, and assist with the progress at each stage. See our Events and Workshops page for upcoming classes or contact us to schedule a private session.