Pre-birth acupuncture can help a woman prepare for a healthy labor and delivery and is an excellent way to encourage optimal health in the final weeks leading up to birth. Orchid offers weekly treatment based on researched protocols starting at 36 -37 weeks of pregnancy to get the body ready slowly for childbirth.
I came to see Lisa for acupuncture at Orchid because I was “overdue” with my first baby and looking for alternative ways to naturally induce labor. Lisa was fantastic. It is clear she loves what she does, is great at it and genuinely cares for her clients. She fit me into her schedule for 2 productive acupuncture sessions. She spent time talking with, and listening to me and offered various additional suggestions for me to try to help induce labor in conjunction with the sessions. The best part is, I went into labor 12 hours after the acupuncture session and am confident my visits with Lisa at Orchid played a role in that. – Megan B
Research has shown that pre-birth acupuncture may help to:
- Increase cervical ripening;
- Shorten active labor;
- Support the progression of labor naturally;
- Manage pain and discomfort during labor and delivery;
- Sustain energy during labor;
- Alleviate anxiety before and during labor;
- Maintain healthy blood pressure; and
- Reduce the likelihood for unnecessary interventions and the possibility of having a cesarean section.
Data on 169 women gathered by 14 midwives as part of their midwifery practice in Wellington, New Zealand found that when comparing all caregivers such as midwives, GP’s and specialists, for those women who had received prebirth acupuncture, there was:
- An overall 35% reduction in the number of inductions (for women having their first baby this was a 43% reduction)
- A 31% reduction in the epidural rate
When comparing midwifery only care to women receiving prebirth acupuncture there was a:
- A 32% reduction in emergency cesarean delivery
- A 9% increase in normal vaginal births
There was no difference in the onset of early labor in those women receiving prebirth acupuncture.
Acupressure for Pain Relief During Labor
Before birth, we can also instruct a woman’s birth partner and/or doula on how to apply acupressure during labor to promote partner involvement, lessen labor pain, and assist with the progress at each stage. See our Events and Workshops page for upcoming classes or contact us to schedule a private session.